Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Traditional First Post

My first blog. Odd. It's 2011 already and I've never attempted one before. Does MySpace count? Does anyone remember MySpace? Anyone?

Well, why now? Why this blog with the strange name?

The last two years have been a major upheaval in my life. Everything I thought I knew, everything I believed about myself and where my life was going has been through fire. As fire does, many things were consumed and became ruin - ashes and smoke. Other things were refined and became stronger. I once was married and unhealthy. Now I am unmarried, wounded and healing. I once felt dry and dead inside. Now I taste blood every day and it reminds me I'm alive. Once God's grace was a powerful term. Now it's the breath of my life.

This blog isn't about sharing something new. I don't have anything original to say that has not been said by so many men before me. This isn't some new wisdom I've gained that I think will improve the world. That said, I've learned a lot about respecting myself and giving myself credit as a person. So this, while perhaps not wholly original, is still MY story. Telling my story is healing to me. After the fire goes out the cleanup must begin - and it goes slower if you try to hide it.

The walls went down, the roof collapsed and everything inside has been scorched. All that remains is the foundation. Part of this cracked too, and this is the subject of the next post. You are welcome here - welcome to this ruined house, the public disaster. If you can stand with me here I'll tell you how we got here as best as I know. And if you'll help me lift this rubble I'll show you something I recently discovered - there is still undamaged foundation here. Some parts survived the fire. Care to stand with me as I clean up?

1 comment:

  1. Jon, glad to see you're blogging. I do so love to check on my friends in the blogosphere. I love the personal stories and thoughts. and I'm glad to get a glimpse particularly into the collapse and rebuilding of your life. you're a good man, and i'm glad to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete